Monday, July 2, 2012

First Lunch

The food culture is strong throughout Asia.  Some folks have told me that people who live in poorer countries find great pleasure in eating.  It makes sense.  Americans have "better" things to do than "waste" time in the kitchen.  Consequently, our food comes from a box, bag, can, or freezer - expertly prepared in microwave ovens!  Every Asian country is different, but they all seem to take great pride in their food.  Thailand is no exception.

I've only eaten Thai food in the U.S. and not much of it.  Probably different over here.  Spicy and cheap are two words that come to mind.  Oh yeah, and delicious. It's not a good idea to ask too many questions...  like, what is that?  Sometimes they don't know the English translation and sometimes you don't want to know.  Today I inquired about something that looked like cubed, brown tofu.  That was a mistake.  It was congealed chicken blood and my faculty host encouraged me to try it.  How could I refuse?  Later, she asked me how I liked it.  Truthfully (and purposefully) I said it was mixed in with the other foods and I did not know.  I'm bound to lose some weight if I keep my mouth shut.  :)


Faculty sponsor (right) and colleague (left)


2 comments: