Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Tropical Fruit

Beautiful and delicious

Never paid much attention to alien fruits before, except for bananas and kiwis.  I tended to focus on the domestic varieties such as apples, oranges, peaches, pears, and such - the old standby's. What have I been missing? The same thing you are, a world of tropical fruits! When we use this term in the U.S. it normally applies to the flavoring, not the fruit itself.  For examples, life savers or antacids.  Rarely do we ever get a chance to eat the "real" thing. I think that tropical fruit is the best kept secret in Asia.  They are so sweet that many people eat them for dessert. Hey, now that's a novel idea instead of candy bars and soft drinks. 

Most Americans have heard of mangoes and papayas, perhaps after watching some re-runs of Gilligan's Island. Few know anything about dragon fruit, jack fruit, durians, mangosteens, rambutans, etc. A retired KKU faculty member was nice enough to give me a basket containing "assorted fruit flavors" (fruit + flavor).  What a beautiful and delicious way of saying, welcome to Thailand!

2 comments:

  1. Are you an honorary ambassador for Thailand? haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so and with the right incentive package I might be interested in it becoming my real job (provided that I don't have to learn the language)!

      Delete