Thursday, July 5, 2012

Money & Banking



Finding an ATM that works (actually dispenses cash) is critical. After all, you can only live so long without money.  Some machines are for domestic customers while others handle global transactions. ATM's give a good rate and provide local currency, plus you don't have to open a local bank account. 

Everything here is Thai Baht. Approximately 30 THB equal 1 USD, so if you want to know the equivalency, then divide every price by 30. Most transactions are fairly easy.  For example, yesterday's lunch (big soup bowl) cost me 26 THB (slightly less than 1 USD). I prefer using bills, instead of coins. The bills are color-coded and the denominations are easy to read. So, using 100 THB (red) is like shopping with a $3 bill.  But I hate the coins, mainly because I cannot tell by sight alone which ones are which.  It makes me feel really stupid when I am at the cash register and have to make a quick decision.  Today, I just showed all my coins to the vendor and she just took the right amount - or at least I think so. :)  It's only a few cents, no big deal.

Here's another problem I face when conducting business with the local merchants. They just say the amount, in Thai of course, but I have no idea what they are telling me.  In places like convenience stores, the items are scanned and a price is displayed on the register - similar to the U.S. At least I know the price and cannot get ripped off.  But I prefer to shop with the locals because its fun and I like to see the expression on their face when they have to interact with a ting tong (stupid) American.

No comments:

Post a Comment