Friday, July 27, 2012

Wild Women?

When I told people I was going to Vietnam, they asked why (like, don't you have another choice)? When I told people I was going to Thailand, they said (with a wink and a nod), I know why you want to go there!

It's all about perception. American images of Thailand generally focus on two things: tropical paradise and estrogen-fueled women (but not necessarily in that order). I hate to burst your bubble, but all the women I've seen look and act perfectly normal. In fact, modest would be the best word to describe them. Everybody wears clothes. I have seen no public displays of affection - couples kissing or even holding hands!

By now, you are probably thinking about some news story that you have seen on television or read about in the newspaper (Bangkok or Pattaya). It's true, there are some wild women in Thailand just like in the US.  But most of our news reporting is based on sensationalism and sex sells! Here's a newsflash... the world's oldest profession is about making money, not love. So Tina Turner was right all along?

I'm not tring to paint a picture of absolute purity. Just getting you to rethink some stereotypes.

No comments:

Post a Comment