Thursday, July 5, 2012

Left is Right and Right is Wrong


See anything... different?
One of the hardest transitions for me to overcome is seeing people drive on the lefthand side of the road. It's just wrong, but not in Thailand. It makes me feel that some car is going to hit us head-on!  What's worse, I have to think really hard BEFORE crossing the road.  Which way is the traffic coming?  Oh yeah, it's just opposite than what I'm used to! Now I know how the chicken must have felt when crossing the road.

To make matters worse, the steering wheel is on the "passenger" side of the car.  So, when I get in the front seat, I find myself trying to brake or step on the gas - as if the driver may need some help. It reminds me of Drivers Ed. in High School, except there were two sets of pedals and two steering wheels. After returning to the U.S., I think I am going to be really confused. But I'm not sure the police will buy my explanation.


"Drivers" side


"Passenger" side


4 comments:

  1. I presume this is due to British influence. Do you see any other British influence? How about roundabouts? And, of course, tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too, but Thailand was never a British colony.

      Delete
  2. Please do not tell me that you are driving a car there!
    Hope your day goes well:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but I could do it. Khon Kaen is much smaller, and safer than Hanoi or Seoul.

      Delete