Thursday, July 26, 2012

Thainess

I haven't been here long enough to fully grasp the meaning of this term, but I think it has something to do with language, religion, food, customs, and lifestyle - Thai culture for short. It's the special (mostly inner) qualities that differentiate Thai people from other folks. Here's a few things that I've noticed...
  • Politeness. They extend a warm greeting to each other and foreigners alike. It's a simple gesture called wai, folding of the hands with a small bow of the head, instead of a handshake.  The older you are, the more greater the bow. It's a back-handed compliment, but I get a lot of respect in Thailand. :)
  • Hospitable. Anxious for you to feel at home with their culture. Feel uncomfortable when foreigners offer to pay for something.  For example, when I offer to buy lunch for my colleagues they often say its too cheap and would rather I pay when the meal is more expensive (which never occurs).     
  • Curious. Students are very interested in American lifestyle, but are very shy - inhibited because of language barrier and status.  But they certainly love to talk to each other. 
  • Tolerant. Very accepting of others and diverse viewpoints. Goodness is found in everybody and everything. 
  • Photogenic. Thai love to pose for photos, like a glamor shot or something. Also, female students like to take photos with me. Going to miss this after returning to the U.S. :(
  • Ephemeral. Thai people seem to live in the present, more than dwell on the past or plan for the future. I think the song, "Don't worry, be happy" fits their collective personality very well.
  • Conflict-avoidance. They want to make people happy, not sad, so they often defer bad news or delay making controversial decisions.  It's in contrast to most Americans "bull in the China shop" mentality.
Of course, there are many things I still don't understand. Here's a few of them. Many Thai people leave their keys in the door. Go figure. More than once I have seen the plastic still on furniture - long after it has been purchased. I guess its a way to keep it looking new! The toilet paper dispenser in the bathroom is exactly the same kind they use on the dining table.  Kind of gets you thinking both ways! But here's something that really makes sense. Thai eat with an over-sized spoon (right hand) and fork (left hand). I asked why. They can get more food on a spoon than they can on a fork!

Impossible to lose!


Old, but just like new!



Toilet paper and table napkin?

Model of efficiency!

No comments:

Post a Comment