Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Searching for Nirvana

Last Sunday, I went to the "Spirit Forest" with some graduate students.  It was an interesting experience. My faculty sponsor told me some about the place beforehand, so I was looking forward to it.  After we arrived, I was fortunate to get an English-speaking guide to improve my understanding. I also got a chance to meet a monk. Here's the story...

Mark and the Main Monk
About 20 years ago, one monk (above) came to live at a forest in Khon Kaen. Actually, it was an cemetery - not for burials, but for cremations. Only the spirits lived there, so that's why no one else came, except to dump the ashes. The monk overcame his fear and turned the place into a residential worship center. It's open to the public, free of charge.


 









Many monks live there now and volunteers often come to do work projects. Its a model of sustainability, they raise fish, dispose of garbage, and purify wastewater. They also collect solar power.  It's an ambitious project and still growing. They receive a large amount of charitable contributions to support the work.
 
Garbage disposal system

Fish farming












I have never seen so many graven images at one place in my life - people, animals, and some combinations of both. Exquisitely crafted and painted, many were gold plated.  For me, it was like turning back the pages of history. I don't believe much has changed since Old Testament times. I learned that Buddha was born in India about 500 years before Christ. Buddha's reign is limited to 2,500 years so they are preparing for a replacement (sculpture) to take his place.


 


North, South, East & West
Meditation helps one to find nirvana - emptying of oneself, nothingness, peace of mind, etc. This is a place of meditation for many, including, but not limted to the monks. The guide asked me to concentrate as we walked across a bridge with wide gaps between the slats (water was moving below our feet). Later she asked me what I saw. I told her that I saw water moving beneath my feet. Apparently this was a shallow explanation, so I think it will take me longer than one session to get the hang of it.  The guide asked me to return and I said I would in my next life - okay, just kidding!


 


Reclining Buddha


3 comments:

  1. Wow! I would h ave loved to have been with you to see that! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I am going to love that place "Spirit Forest"! Karen, you should come to Korea with or without Mark:) We will have lots of fun!! Mark, I like your picture with a Monk. You look like his student. I hope you have a wonderful day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen to Korea, with or without me??? Lot's of fun? Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete