Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Speak Easy?

Lunch Menu: prices, but no pictures
Communication is difficult. This is why I am dependent, and so grateful to those who can speak English. I cannot read squat in Thai. There's no way to figure it out simply by looking. At least in Vietnam I could recognize some words. Thai language is tonal, so good pronunciation is challenging.  Earlier today I was trying to pronounce one of the name of one faculty member (female). I was told by another that what I was saying was wrong.  Instead of saying it correctly, I was calling her a "dirty" girl - one that had many boyfriends. Oops, I'm glad that she didn't hear me say that!

Thai people's names are really long and I have no idea if it is a man or woman unless I see them. For example, one of our faculty is named Wirongrong Mongkonthum.  Male or female?  Now say it quickly 5 times. That's what I thought. You can't even say it once!  Neither could I.  Her "other" name is Chompoo and it is pronunced Shampoo. Finally, something I can understand.  I have been listening to some Youtube videos which makes pronunciation easier, but it will take me longer than a month to "master" the language. At my age, death will probably come sooner.  

No comments:

Post a Comment