Monday, July 2, 2012

Hop, Skip and a (Long) Jump!

Finally arrived in Khon Kaen, Thailand after layovers in Seoul and Bangkok.  It's a total of 9,310 miles (14,983 km).  St. Louis - Chicago 255 miles; Chicago - Seoul 6,538 miles; Seoul - Bangkok 2,286; and Bangkok - Khon Kaen 231 miles.  I spent 22 hours in the air (not counting the time in terminals and flight delays).  Sure was glad to get here.  :) 

In Seoul, I visited with my former graduate student (Kris) and her husband (Albert).  I was familiar with the Incheon airport because I have been to Korea before.  Making the bus transfer into Seoul was no problem.  I always stay at the Morning Calm B&B because I really enjoy the owners (a retired couple).  He was an English teacher and she is a wonderful cook.  Plus, it's super cheap!

with Kris




with Kris & Albert











no Jayhawk connection!
In Bangkok, I spent some time with the family of my Thai graduate      student (Khane).  I had met her parents several times before, but it was good to see them again.  My flight into Bankok was scheduled to arrive late and I told them I could find a hotel on my own.  But they insisted on picking me up, a favor they probably regret now.  :)  I arrived at 1:00 am and did not get to the hotel until 2:15 am.  Adding insult to injury, they booked me at the campus hotel which happened to be named the KU home - especially tough for a MU professor who formerly taught at K-State!  I was relieved to find out there was no Jayhawk connection, it only stood for Kasesart University.

After a delicious lunch and some local sightseeing, I was off to Khon Kaen.  Arrived about 8:00 pm.  My faculty sponsor was there waiting on me and it was good to see her again.  I've been to KKU once before to attend a wetlands conference in 2010.  So, back "home" again.  BTW, where is home?

with Khane's parents


No comments:

Post a Comment