Tuesday, July 10, 2012

What's for Breakfast?

The clock is set for 6:00 am, but sometimes I wake-up a few hours BEFORE my alarm goes off. Getting used to another time schedule (Khon Kaen is 12 hours ahead of Columbia) is not as easy as it sounds.  But after a few days, my system adjusts to the "new" routine. Strange as it seems, I look forward to the alarm clock actually waking me up! 

Rice soup w/mushrooms & meat

Breakfast is the most unusual meal in Asia, not just in Thailand.  In the U.S., we would say it's "heavy."  That might be an understatement. Forget about pastries and cereal. Haven't eaten an egg yet in the morning. My hotel does not serve yogurt, but I buy it regularly at 7-11 (yes, they are very common in Khon Kaen).  I have some fresh fruit each morning with toast/jelly, so that's pretty normal. The coffee is really good, but you have to be careful. First, you add a small amount of coffee concentrate (liquified) into your cup, followed by the hot water.  Dilute to taste. Of course, they have the "fixins" such as sugar and cream.

What's different?  Glad you asked.  The other morning I had some crinkle cut hotdogs (thought they were carrots) and turnips (greens + whites). I eat a small bowl of soup every day that contains rice, meat and mushrooms. Rice is served at every meal and I often eat it 3 times a day. The other morning, I ate some stir-fry carrots and brocolli, with pork (I think). Haha. There is a salad bar available every morning, including several dressings, but I'm not quite that hungry!


Fresh fruit



Toast & jelly
  

2 comments:

  1. Try "Pla Tong Koh" kinda fatty snack pieces, but it's worth to try!
    And you dip it with sweet condensed milk, oh wow how I miss it!

    Khane :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to eat breakfast at the hotel every morning, so there's not much variety. But I will be on the lookout for "Pla Tong Koh." It's common to use sweetened condensed milk and delicious too.

      Delete