Sunday, July 15, 2012

With the Students


A day like no other!  Seven plus one boyfriend (all students) picked me up at 10:00 am and I returned to my room at 8:30 pm. Wow! First, we went to the sacred forest and spent a couple of hours (this deserves a separate entry). Then they took me for lunch at a shopping center. I paid for everyone and they were astonished and so was I (9 people ate for $30). What a deal. So immediately I made 8 new friends!


Of course it means good luck!

Ominous temple entry














Then we went to "big" temple - 9 stories tall and everyone walked to the top. It was much easier coming down. :) Next we went to a coffee shop for some dessert. Thai people have a sweet tooth. If they are not careful, they will get as fat as Americans.  While we were eating, they asked me some questions - it was a class assignment.  Then we went shopping and I bought a few souvenirs.  It was the place where farangs go (Thai term for tourists). Strangely, I felt right at home. 

Lastly, off to the night market where we saw a brief performance and ate some more food.  It was a sultry night and I was sweating like a pig. The food made it worse. Never trust a Thai student when they say the food is not spicy. They aren't lying, instead their taste buds have been seared since birth. Here's my simple eating strategy: 1) always order bottled water, never drink anything carbonated; 2) always have some rice on your plate; 3) apply both liberally to whatever is burning - tongue, lips, teeth. You get the picture. It's a really cheap fire extinguisher!

Now, I'm back in the room soaking up the day.  It was fun.  They asked me lot's of questions. I asked them some in return. I think it was a good English lesson.

4 comments:

  1. I like your picture with your students. But really?? Only two out of seven students are male!
    What can I say? You are popular:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, its true that I'm a rock-star in Thailand, but after returning to the U.S. I will turn into a pumpkin once again.

      Delete
  2. I hope you had some extra tums with you! KM

    ReplyDelete