Sunday, July 22, 2012

Massage Therapy


Okay, I know what you are thinking...  How could you? Don't you know it's only a front for prostitution.  Perhaps that's true for some locations in Thailand, but not all.  Massage therapy doesn't have that kind of reputation in the U.S. nor at the campus hotel where I'm staying. It seemed like a safe bet, otherwise they couldn't stay in business....  at least this business!

Overcoming my fear, I knocked on the door and was greeted by two Thai women who could barely speak English.  I wasn't sure if I had made the right decision or not.  One of them asked if I wanted a foot or body massage. I said body, and she wanted to know for 1 or 2 hours.  After verifying the price, I said 2 hours.  That turned out to be a great decision.  Before she started, I had to take off my shoes and change clothes. No big deal. 

The therapist folded her hands and said a prayer before we started. I took that as a good sign. I had to lay down on a mat. When she said face up, I finally figured out that she wanted me to lie on my back. First, she worked on my feet and legs, then it was back and shoulders. Lastly, she did accupressure on my head. It was half massage and half chiropractic, but I could have cared less. Two hours went by quickly. Don't think I had any stress going in, but afterwards, I had none for sure. And absolutely no drain on my wallet ($9.50).  I may have to do this once or twice more before I leave!
     

      

4 comments:

  1. Massage theraphy is addictive. If you feel well after massage, watch out your money.Haha.... Kris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fool and his money are soon parted. Its probably a good idea that I only have one more week in Thailand - might go broke!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love getting a massage, Thai massage is the best. The harder the better!!! That was one thing I didn't miss last summer!! Please enjoy!

    Khane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen just told me that a 2.5 hour Thai massage in Columbia is $150! I'll get another one before I leave or bring the therapist to the US.

      Delete