Sunday, July 15, 2012

Very Superstitious

Remember the hit 1970's song, Superstition by Stevie Wonder?  In my opinion, "beliefs" characterize a lot of Asian culture.  Not good or bad, right or wrong, just different than Western thought.  Although there are some exceptions, most Americans are too scientific-minded to believe in such "nonsense."  We need to control and test things, but more importantly, see cause and effect relationships.  Not so in Asia.

The other day I was eating lunch with some of my colleagues.  They ordered fish and it was a good-sized one (enough for 3 people).  Naturally, I flipped it over after we got finished with one side. Naturally, that was the wrong thing to do. My sponsor gently explained to me that they don't "flip" the fish over because it will bring bad luck - similar to the waves overturning a boat and putting the fishermen in danger. Hmm... Never thought of it that way before. When they weren't looking, I flipped it back over, but I'm afraid the damage was already done!

When I go through the night market, I see vendors selling "lucky" numbers - kind of like our lottery tickets except you never "win" any money. I see fortune tellers, with playing cards, "helping" people to explore their future.  Here's an example if you are brave enough to try it. http://www.thebigview.com/pastlife/  Simply enter your birthday and submit. Make sure that you read the disclaimer later, it's a real hoot.


Contrary to what you might think, Asians are very religious people.  Every time I visit a temple, I see them worshipping - bowing, praying, burning incense, sometimes offering fruit and presents.  And temples are always open.

 









One of the main reason I enjoy visiting Asian countries so much is about differences, not similarities. Come and see for yourself, "the writings on the wall."  And if you think "they" are strange, then check out this vintage youtube clip and you might change your mind.

2 comments:

  1. So... have you had your fortune read yet? I am anxious to hear what they told you if you did! KM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "big view" (above) said I was born in Tibet and had a Boehemian personality. One out of two isn't bad!

      Delete